Italia forward Paulo Dybala will miss this week’s World Cup qualifiers against Saudi Arabia and UAE after being charged with “inciting racial hatred”.
The 24-year-old striker, who has scored nine goals in 25 appearances for the Turin giants this season, was charged after allegedly saying “I’m sorry, the Arabs” during a football match against an Arab player at the Al-Walaa Stadium in Abu Dhabi last week.
“The incident was an act of racism,” a spokesperson for the national prosecutor said.
“It is unacceptable for any player to make racist remarks, including by means of racial hatred, during a match.”
We hope that the player who has been charged will show a good and positive attitude and avoid any further actions.
“Dybala was later fined £20,000 by the UAE Football Association, the spokesperson added.
The charges were made against Dybali after a video of the incident went viral on social media and was shared by several Italian football clubs, including Juventus, in the UAE.
In a statement, Juventus said: “We have spoken to the player and he has accepted the decision.
We are committed to fighting racism, as we have done throughout the whole campaign.
“Dyrbala has been linked with several clubs across Europe, including Borussia Dortmund and Inter Milan, while Inter Milan defender Sergio Busquets is also said to be a target.
Jakarta, Indonesia — An Indonesian newspaper says it is banning a cartoon in its newspaper depicting Muslims as animals and calling on readers to “change the tone of their thinking.”
The Jakarta Post reported Sunday that the cartoon shows a Muslim praying with an ape, saying “I am a Muslim and I pray that I will grow up to become an ape.
I do not want my children to be born with this kind of thinking.”
A similar cartoon was drawn in a local newspaper last month.
The Jakarta Times said it has taken the cartoon down, but not before sharing a link to a website with instructions on how to make it disappear.
In Indonesia, cartoons are not illegal, but they must be accompanied by a disclaimer that they are satirical.
Spanish newspaper newspaper cartoonists Eduardo Ceballos and Carlos de Almeida have both been hospitalised after falling from a building in Madrid.
Spanish newspaper El País said in a tweet that the two artists had fallen from the top floor of the building in the city centre late on Thursday evening.
The cartoonists were reported to be working at a print shop in the same building as the falling victims.
El Pais said it was unclear how long the two were trapped and how the falling artists suffered injuries.
They were reported in stable condition at a hospital.
Spain has been in a state of emergency since the start of the year after the country’s largest ever violent terrorist attack.
The government says there are no known links between the attackers and the Islamic State group.