By ROBERT KLEIN, Associated PressNew York Times reporter Andrew Rosenberg has the latest on a potential Islamic terror attack targeting reporters in New York City.
Rosenberg, the Times’ chief foreign affairs correspondent, reports that a man identified as Farah Khan told a New York police officer that he planned to “kill journalists.”
Khan told the officer that, in addition to the New Jersey attack, he planned a New Jersey assault, which is the most deadly of its kind.
The suspect has not been named, but authorities say they are investigating.
The Times has not confirmed Khan’s claims.
Khan said he was motivated by the threat of a New Orleans-style “death march” on the city by Islamic extremists.
A New Orleans police officer, who declined to be identified, told the AP he was aware of the possibility of a plot in the city, but declined to comment further.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, a Democrat, has said he is looking into Khan’s account and is concerned about the potential threat to journalists.
The Times has been criticized for not including Khan’s information when reporting on an attack in Minnesota on Sept. 17, in which three people were killed and more than 30 others wounded in a mosque.
It said the attack occurred in the aftermath of a mass shooting in an Orlando, Fla., nightclub, and that a law enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation said that police did not think the attack was linked to the attack in New Jersey.
The official said police did find some items that appeared to support Khan’s claim, but that there were other elements that were not immediately clear.
Khalim Khan, a 26-year-old from New Jersey, was shot dead by police in the subway in New Brunswick, N.J., on Aug. 29.
(Photo: AP file photo)Khan had been working for the Times since January, when he joined the bureau after graduating from New York University with a degree in international affairs.
He was hired to cover the Muslim world in late April.
He joined the paper in October, the most recent being in February.
Kamal Khan, the father of Farah, told ABC News that his son had been “very brave” for reporting on the New Orleans attack and was now “a hero.”
“He had no idea how he was going to get out of here alive,” Kamal Khan said.
“He was very brave.
He had no clue.
He knew it was going down.
He wanted to die.”
Read or Share this story: http://usat.ly/1xzkKbT